20130116-080958.jpg

The greatest political fear of mankind subject to humanistic government should be that we would entitle our way out of freedom and into dependence, a dependence conditioned over generations by an unwitting at best, calculated at worst, oligarchy that prides power over freedom in the name of exalting and preserving the betterment of civilization.

Preservation of a collective by appeasing their perceived needs at the cost of individual freedom and the personal labor needed to achieve success within a culture, betrays the fundamental creativity of the human individual, devoiding the world of any would-be solutions the individual might propose, all the while ensuring the prolonged position of influence held by the Granter and Preserver of said benefits.

What a civilization believes its entitled to elevates the Preserver to an iconic level as one who confronts the status quo in the name of the greater good. Once awakened, the newly discovered entitlement produces an insatiable hunger that gives rise to the Preserver, without whom the collective would starve. Without divine intervention or the shock of a cultural upheaval, the Preserver need only to ensure the public of his unwavering support of their needs in order to continue his campaign, subsequently extinguishing personal freedom and genuine creativity, essentially lulling a formerly sentient world to a slumber of the soul.

AnneMarie · 16 Jan ’13 at 3:57 pm

I fear that’s exactly what happened in Germany in the late 1930’s…

Ever read Bonhoeffer?

Christopher Hopper · 16 Jan ’13 at 3:59 pm

Insightful.

Bonhoeffer: years ago. One of my father’s favorites. I sense I need to revisit him.

Christian Fahey · 16 Jan ’13 at 4:30 pm

This is well-written and penetrating, Christopher. Your use of the word “collective” is an eerie reminder of Marxism–which, given the formative and academic influences of the Preserver-in-Chief, may not be far off, in spirit to be sure, if not in form. The new look of your website is sharp and winsome, best yet IMO.

Christopher Hopper · 16 Jan ’13 at 4:33 pm

Thanks for your input, Christian. Appreciate the insight, and the compliments, as always. You’re awesome.

Kevin Zoll · 16 Jan ’13 at 5:29 pm

Somebody’s been using a thesaurus.

We, as a country, are dangerously close to living in a fascist/socialist state. Where the powers to be determine what you are entitled to or not.

Christopher Hopper · 16 Jan ’13 at 5:36 pm

Ha ha – well, not exactly, but I’ll take that as a compliment. This is how I write when I’m being intellectual and get inspired by the writers of old.

Startlingly close.

Kevin Zoll · 18 Jan ’13 at 1:02 pm

I had to briefly reprogram my brain to think in English, and not what passes for English today, when I read the post. Yes, startlingly close to writings of yesteryear.

Christopher Hopper · 18 Jan ’13 at 4:09 pm

I take that as an incredible compliment. Thank you.

Lady Maggie · 17 Jan ’13 at 7:03 pm

That’s awesome Mr. Hopper! Very descriptive and awakening! 🙂 Makes you think.

Christopher Hopper · 17 Jan ’13 at 10:11 pm

Thank you, Lady Maggie. Appreciate you taking the time to read and comment.

C.R. Mooney · 18 Jan ’13 at 2:59 pm

I was in the Adirondack mountains once for a hike and remember reading a sign while entering the trail. It read something like, “Don’t feed the animals or they will learn to be dependent on humans for food and not fend for themselves.” Hmmmm…

Christopher Hopper · 18 Jan ’13 at 4:10 pm

Did you need more proof that we esteem animals above human beings?