20120813-083316.jpg

Last night I had an amazing summer conversation with my daughter, Eva, outside under the pines.

Correction: it was a listening session. A single, unending stream of thought (less one addition from me) where I realized my baby girl is much less baby and far more girl.

But I’m sure in both our minds it will be remembered as a conversation, because we experienced it together.

We were playing a game my Daddy and I made up when I was little called It’s Like When, in which one person says a word and the second person has to give a real life application of that word without using the word specifically.

Her word was “forest.”

Apparently my answer of, “It’s like when you’re surrounded by trees,” wasn’t good enough.

“No, Dad,” she corrected.

“It’s like animals everywhere. Rabbits and deer. But we don’t shoot them. Only Popop shoots deer because he likes to eat them. We only eat animals when we eat Cheeseburgers.”

“Those are cows.” (My one addition).

“Ew. Gross. Yeah, and we don’t shoot cows too much. If there are no cows, then there’s no milk. And if there’s no milk, there’s no cereal. And can you imagine life without cereal? I can’t. I mean, what would we even eat?”

I have no idea.

So there you have it, a true Dwight Schrute-ism á la Evangeline Hopper:

Forest equals cereal.

You’re welcome.

20120813-083324.jpg

Sarah · 13 Aug ’12 at 9:01 am

. . .
I want to comment on this, but Eva’s very interesting logic (I feel like that’s off somehow- not that it’s not logical, because it actually is, but because I think there’s another word that describes it better) has left me at a loss for words.

Billy Jepma · 13 Aug ’12 at 9:10 am

Wow, gotta love kids logic. And it actually makes sense in a way. I mean, what would we do without cereal? What kind of world would we live in? I don’t think I want to think about that. 😉

Christopher Hopper · 14 Aug ’12 at 4:15 pm

I definitely don’t want to live in that world! That’s for sure!

emma e squared · 14 Aug ’12 at 3:56 pm

I tried to imagine life without cereal and then realized I couldn’t. The next time I eat cereal, I think I will appreciate it more. Not to mention cows and forests.

Christopher Hopper · 14 Aug ’12 at 4:14 pm

And thus the world is a better place now that Eva has made you think twice.

Gabe · 14 Aug ’12 at 4:27 pm

Woah. I think I’d die with out cereal. O_o
Or milk.

Love kids’ logic. Thanks for posting 🙂

Christopher Hopper · 14 Aug ’12 at 8:24 pm

You bet! Important stuff we cover here at ch.com

Taisia · 14 Aug ’12 at 6:39 pm

Aw! That’s so cute! I don’t know what I’d say to that. 🙂

Ciara · 15 Aug ’12 at 5:46 pm

I don’t really like cereal. But life without milk?!? Actually, I don’t really like that either. Except for chocolate milk. Gotta protect those brown cows 😀

Interesting logic there, though. But ya know… it’s almost the same as forest = composite hockey stick. Almost…

And once again I manage to be a couple of days late…

Christopher Hopper · 15 Aug ’12 at 8:00 pm

We love late as much as we love early. Shucks: those who are early never have anything to leave a comment on! So late is superior.

Ciara · 16 Aug ’12 at 12:22 pm