Yesterday Judah and I worshipped together during third service at New Life. He’s often distracted by his older brother and sister, but since they were en route from Rochester with their mom, Judah’s singular focus was pretty neat to watch.

He would look up at me and do what I was doing.

It started with clapping.

Then some hopping.

Soon he was squinting his eyes, looking up at me to see what hand I was raising. I couldn’t figure out why he was squinting – honestly, it was super cute – until I realized I was squinting.

I couldn’t stand it any more and knelt down to hug him and tell him how good of a little worshipper he was being.

If you’ve felt convicted lately about not doing something you know you should be, please consider this: our deliberate efforts are often more about someone else’s gateway to success than our own.

So whether it’s the way you worship in church to that book you’ve always been getting around to writing to that exercise routine you’ve been delaying to that friend you’ve always said you’ll visit, do the people watching you a favor and start.

The best motivation is realizing some things we can’t do for ourselves. We can only do them for others. ch:

20120101-111634.jpg

Jason Day · 2 Jan ’12 at 8:52 am

Wow! Dude. So true. I am definitely feeling that these last few days. Thanks for your role in getting me moving. I am so blessed to have a friend like you.
JD

Christopher Hopper · 2 Jan ’12 at 10:28 am

Good deal. And you have a lot to give. Stoked for you. And thanks for the encouragement.

Nathan R. · 2 Jan ’12 at 9:04 am

Amen bro!

Megan J. · 2 Jan ’12 at 11:46 am

“While your actions may very well benefit you in some meaningful ways – financial, emotional, physical, or spiritual – they probably will benefit someone else far more profoundly.”

Not only did you affect Judah, you affected me, and Tabby R. as well… Who knows how many other people! Just in those five minutes as you were being an amazing father and leader. Love you so much CH!

Christopher Hopper · 2 Jan ’12 at 1:31 pm

Wow, thanks Megan. Appreciate that a lot. Just goes to show you really have no idea what others are seeing. Love you right back.

Jane · 2 Jan ’12 at 1:49 pm

Thank you for that Chris. You are such an inspiration to ALL of us, not just your kids. Keep it up. The photo is priceless. He is such a darling little boy.

Christopher Hopper · 2 Jan ’12 at 2:20 pm

Honored by your words, Jane. You’re a blessing!

RyanPaigeHoward (RyanHeart) · 2 Jan ’12 at 6:07 pm

This made my heart smile. Your beautiful family is always inspirational… your little ones are going to love reading these when they get older. Thank you for sharing these stories with us. They always bless me. Thanks for the good bit of motivation and wisdom too.
Your feel good post made me make one of my New Year resolutions to blog inspiring post everyday for one year… something I’ve been wanting to do for a long time and the first reason for me starting a blog… it’s taken me a long three years to get to it 😉

Christopher Hopper · 2 Jan ’12 at 6:10 pm

Hey’a! Now that’s awesome! What a great goal. I’ve noticed so many benefits from writing everyday. I highly advise it for a writer (or to help you become one!). And thanks always for your kindness.

Vannell Berrien · 2 Jan ’12 at 6:32 pm

Awesome! What we do has more of an impact on others, more then we will ever know. As a father I know first hand how you may. Have felt watching your little man worship God. And they shall know us by our fruit….even our children, and will imitate us until they can do it without our help….man I love you guys Chris….and we love the Hopper kids!

Christopher Hopper · 2 Jan ’12 at 6:46 pm

And I love watching your kids worship! They are right there with you, doing the same thing. Passionate, joyful, focused. You guys are awesome parents. Love you right back.

julie · 2 Jan ’12 at 7:08 pm

Christopher & Judah… BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL!
We are called to ‘let our light so shine before others, that they may see our good works, that glorify The Father in Heaven’ [Matthew 5:16]… and when necessary use words. Thank you Christopher & Judah for this beautiful illustration of the light… with more than words.
> God Blesses BIG in 2012! <

Christopher Hopper · 2 Jan ’12 at 9:56 pm

Thanks for the great scriptural reminder, Julie. Right on.

Daddy H · 4 Jan ’12 at 10:34 am

Christopher: Memories,memories,memories…. And I have some (very precious to me) pictures of you worshipping The Lord at that age, in just about the same posture, at Love Inn, circa 1980. I love you and I am so very proud of you and yours… daddy

Christopher Hopper · 4 Jan ’12 at 1:31 pm

WOW…I would love to see them one day. You taught me well, Daddy-man. Love you.

Amanda · 9 Jan ’12 at 4:56 pm

With a two-month old, amazing little boy, I have recently become very aware of my actions. I especially have been focusing on how they affect him. I ask myself, if I don’t change my habits, will he be able to wrap his arms around his mommy, which I know children love to do.

I want him and my husband to see the fruits of the spirit, which have been calling out to me recently (Galatians 5:22), embodied in me. Perfect time to start.

Thanks for sharing!

Christopher Hopper · 9 Jan ’12 at 6:27 pm

Great additions to my post; thank you Amanda. I honor your efforts and look forward to your future. Awesome!