UPDATE NOV. 18: We’re super pleased to announce that The Blaze picked up the story we first broke, and are giving Grayson some well-deserved national attention. Big thanks to Glenn and his diligent reporters. To bad Dr. Winger refused to give them a comment, but felt he could to the rest of the media.

UPDATE NOV. 14: Darren Thomas was interviewed by The Blaze this morning. Seems Glenn Beck’s people are working on a possible article. Thanks to my awesome readers for helping us break this story and get some national attention.

By Christopher Miller & Christopher Hopper

Last Friday, Grayson Thomas, an 11-year old boy attending school in Valencia, CA was accused of racism for saying that CBS affiliate KTLA NEWS anchor Chris Schauble looked like President Obama.

The boy saw Schauble in the Newhall School District cafeteria, dressed in a suit and tie and shaking hands with teachers and students while visiting the school to have lunch with his daughter, who also attends there.

Thomas said he believed the man might be President Obama due to striking similarities, then quickly realized he was not. Thinking the resemblance was worth sharing, he told his friend that “Obama is attending our school.”

When word of the comment, who Schauble’s daughter found “racist,” was reported to a teacher, the teacher took it to the principal who then told the school superintendent, Dr. Marc Winger.

Winger called Thomas’ parents and explained “the severity of the situation,” and stated that their son would no longer be allowed to attend school starting Monday. When questioned about his reasoning, Dr. Winger claimed it was because Thomas was making “racist comments that inferred ‘all black men looked alike.'”

Thomas was attending the school on a waiver due to a recent move, and the superintendent decided the appropriate action was to recall the waiver and send Thomas to another school.

“It was racist because Grayson was saying that all black men look alike,” said Dr. Winger. When questioned by the parents if indeed Thomas had said that all blacks look alike Dr. Winger’s response was, “No, he only said that the man in question looks like Obama.”

Thomas has since been bullied via texts by friends of Schauble’s daughter who have taken the “racist” label placed on the boy by the school administration, calling him a “f***ing racist liar” and a “stalker.” Word of this has also spread to Thomas’ older sister’s school where she is being taunted about her brother.

When questioned about the matter, Thoma’s father, Darren Thomas, claims they are anything but racists. “To call my son, and our family, racist is the farthest thing from the truth. Nearly all of his friends are of different races, both at school and in our neighborhood. We’ve even had a black friend live with us in our house for several months last year. I don’t understand how comparing two people who look similar is a racist remark worthy of this level of discipline. I just don’t get it.” cm|ch:

To voice your frustration with this decision, please go directly to the source and contact Dr. Marc Winger, Superintendent of the Newhall School District: 661-291-4000 http://www.newhallschooldistrict.net/

Newhall School District

www.newhallschooldistrict.net

Christian Fahey · 12 Nov ’11 at 1:11 pm

Political correctness run amok. Man. When political leaders (and their ideologies, of course) are mistaken for demi-gods, this kind of silliness ensues. Two things: 1) Had the chid seen an African-American man who instead resembled Louis Gossett Jr. as Herman Cain, this would have never seen the light of day and 2) Instead of being expelled as a “racist,” he should have been praised for his superior powers of observation. The hairline, the smile, the ears and the suit of Chris Schauble all bear striking resemblance to the President. Anyone would have done a double-take.

Christopher Hopper · 12 Nov ’11 at 3:05 pm

Great points, Christian. Totally agree. Sometimes the only way I can take out my frustrations on this stuff is by writing and reporting it.

Christian Fahey · 12 Nov ’11 at 3:36 pm

I’m with you C. This poor boy will be bullied and scarred by this unfortunate episode. There simply has to be a better way to exercise sane ethnic sensitivity.

JUDY HADLEY · 13 Nov ’11 at 3:52 pm

GIVE THE BOY CREDIT! HE DOES LOOK THE PRESIDENT MOST KIDS TODAY DON’T CARE ABOUT ANYTHING BUT WHAT TIME SCHOO; GET OUT!

Jack and Judy · 18 Nov ’11 at 1:27 pm

We always thought that Miguel Almaguer, news reporter on NBC, looks exactly like Obama. So what? People have doubles all over the place. That a child saw such similarities does not make him a racist – it makes him, as Christian said above, very observant and for someone to take offense to that is utterly ridiculous! Our children are being programmed to be afraid to ever say anything about anything!

wayne thomas batson · 12 Nov ’11 at 2:01 pm

Wow, way to make a stand, Dr. Winger, a stand for all that is wrong with America today.

wayne thomas batson · 12 Nov ’11 at 2:10 pm

I went to the site and sent this message to Dr. Winger: Dear Dr. Winger
I’m a middle school teacher of 21 years. I’ve read of your recent decision to expel 11yr old student Grayson Thomas for saying another man looked like Obama. You, sir, really need to get some psychological help. This is a classic case of projection. To say that one man looks like another man absolutely does NOT imply that any one race looks alike. I’ve had people say I look like Steven Segall but that in no way implies that all white people look alike. You’ve projected your own fears, biases, and conditioning onto this poor kid. And that, sir, is an act of cowardice. Likely, you expelled Grayson out of fear that you’d become a target of criticism if you did not do something serious. Again, cowardly. You let a little boy take the fall for you. You should reverse the decision immediately, publicly apologize to the family, and then resign your position. Someone at the top of a school system should know better what to do with authority.

Christopher Hopper · 12 Nov ’11 at 4:23 pm

As a teaching professional yourself, this letter is heavy hitting, direct, and to the point. Thanks for sending it, Wayne.

Joani · 30 Sep ’12 at 12:14 pm

Good for you! I just left a scathing message at the school stating that this moron, Winger, should be thrown out of that school! I hope that the family hires an attorney & sues thus jerk for millions!!!!!

Linda · 12 Nov ’11 at 2:46 pm

My wish is that some high powered attorney would go after all involved in this slanderous labeling and ostricizing of this poor 11 year old child. Dr Winger, how do you sleep at night knowing as a supposedly highly educated man you just destroyed an 11 year old child’s spirit, soul and right to feeling safe and happy. You need to step down.

Christopher Hopper · 12 Nov ’11 at 4:24 pm

Agreed, Linda. Tragic that we allow such burdens to land on 11-year old children.

educatormama · 14 Nov ’11 at 9:41 pm

What has happened here, is that an administration was trying to find a way to get a kid out of the school and the district. They were looking for any way possible to do it. My child has been bullied by this kid all year, and it is a shame that the school and district chose this ridiculus way to deal with the bigger issue of bullying. I do not think he is a racist in any way. On the bullying issue, I hate that he has become some martyr on the internet. I do think that he just needs to be in a program for students with emotional problems and the district could not meet his needs. Sad all the way around.

Christopher Hopper · 14 Nov ’11 at 9:58 pm

I can’t speak to your child being bullied – if so, I’m very sorry…it should never happen – but I appreciate your stance on recognizing the inability fo the district to handle the situation.

J.Stewart · 15 Nov ’11 at 1:03 am

Not sure how to take this comment EducatorMama. You are anonymously making further accusations about a boy who is named in a public forum from which he or his father can not defend himself. If you feel you or your child were wronged you could have at least dealt with that issue at the time to their face in private… but to bring it up on a public forum that he has “emotional problems” is piling on to a child and really beyond the pale. You also expose yourself by saying you hate that he is being made a martyr as if you wish him ill will. It sounds like something is indeed wrong at that school.

Susan Stokes · 12 Nov ’11 at 3:10 pm

Dr Winger has made a terrible mistake at the young boy’s expense. The news anchor and President Obama do indeed look very similar. I find that the comment made by the boy in no way is racist as he was comparing TWO MEN who look alike. At least he is aware of who our President is at such a young age!

Christopher Hopper · 12 Nov ’11 at 4:26 pm

Ha, insightful point, Susan!

I guess I can only be grateful that political correctness shows its true colors in this situation: biased and a coward. Too bad it’s at an 11-year old’s expense.

Kevin Zoll · 12 Nov ’11 at 3:27 pm

This only goes to show that racism is alive and well in this country. Have we not learned anything from the last 150 years?

To make race an issue when it clearly is not the issue; is racism in an of itself. This young man has been subjected to treatment that is hateful in its very nature.

Dr. Winger, clearly should not be in a position of authority, if this is an example of his decision making abilities. He clearly does not have the gifts of wisdom & discernment.

Christopher Hopper · 12 Nov ’11 at 4:28 pm

Totally agree, Kevin. Jennifer made this same, excellent point earlier today. Thanks for adding to the convo. As always, I find your words poignant.

Kristi Lapp · 12 Nov ’11 at 9:19 pm

This child did nothing wrong! Just by saying someone looked like our president is NOT racist! For cryin out loud he is only 11 . Come on give me a break! Leave this boy alone! I’d be proud to look like someone famous. Kicking him out of school and bullying him is NOT the answer. GIVE GRAYSON A BREAK!

Christopher Hopper · 13 Nov ’11 at 12:54 am

Thanks Kristi. Let’s hope Dr. Winger gets the message.

Marjorie · 12 Nov ’11 at 10:20 pm

Perhaps Obama himself should pay a visit to this school…with the 11 year old student…. Or place a call in support of the student…to Mr….a…Winger who sounds like a wing nut. Just saying….

Sondra · 12 Nov ’11 at 11:09 pm

I find it very disturbing that Chris Schauble has allowed this to continue. I want to know if the children involved in the bullying had action taken against them. If not, why? Shame on Dr. Winger and Chris Schauble.

Christopher Hopper · 13 Nov ’11 at 12:56 am

“I want to know if the children involved in the bullying had action taken against them. If not, why?”

FANTASTIC point, and perfect representation of this administration’s double standard.

Will · 13 Nov ’11 at 12:09 am

Christopher – I was looking for more info on this, but I was unable to find it. How did you learn of it?

Christopher Hopper · 13 Nov ’11 at 12:58 am

I’m the first to break the story. Darren is a fiend of mine, film producer in Hollywood. Sending this on to Limbaugh and Beck, as well as FoxNews and The Drudge Report.

Moron alert · 13 Nov ’11 at 8:35 am

And we wonder why liberals are morons?

Christopher Hopper · 13 Nov ’11 at 6:09 pm

When policy clouds common sense, humankind shows the extent of our depravity.

Billy Jepma · 13 Nov ’11 at 9:32 am

That’s just ridiculous! What if a black-man said that I looked like some famous person? I would smile and laugh and ask how he sees that. Not call him racist! Our current school’s make decisions based on politics, and their own personal gain. I bet if Chris Schauble had been a low-end carpenter or mechanic, this would not have happened. The boy would’ve had a talking to, maybe detention, and let go. I will pass this on to my parents, and be praying for the Thomas family.

Christopher Hopper · 13 Nov ’11 at 6:10 pm

Thanks for your prayers, Billy. I know it means a lot to them.

disheartened · 13 Nov ’11 at 10:48 am

Are you people for real? What the heck was racist about that.I think the american people have gone way overboard about racisim.I’m sick and tired of hearing this crap.Grow up or get out of our country!!!!!!

Christopher Hopper · 13 Nov ’11 at 6:12 pm

It’s interesting that there are already nations that embrace radical political correctness, anti-capitalism, and socialism. Why not have the Occupy Wallstreeters just move to one of those pre-existing nations? We’d all be happier.

Darren Thomas · 13 Nov ’11 at 3:55 pm

I’m the father of Grayson Thomas and I want to thank you for your support. The over riding issue is ability of a school administrator to determine the intent of my sons comment. If person in authority can determine a child’s intent then we have entered into dangerous territory. What will be the next thing? Will a child be told that his drawings are racist because of the colors he has chosen? When the cancer of political correctness is allowed to grow it kill all in society. Evil seeks to control the minds of the people and for me that is what this is all about. I’ve decided it is time to draw a line in the sand. I love my son and I promised that when he’s right I will always defend him so this is the time. Again thank you for your support and prayers.

Christopher Hopper · 13 Nov ’11 at 6:13 pm

Darren,

I think I speak for the thousands of vistors this post had gotten in the last 24 hours when I say we’re with you and Grayson. I’m terribly sorry that he’s had to endure this, and I’m praying vindication comes.

Let us know if there’s anything else we can do. Much love brother.

Carol Rock · 14 Nov ’11 at 4:36 pm

Mr. Thomas, I am the news director at KHTS AM1220, the local radio station here in Santa Clarita. I would really like to talk with you about your son’s situation. Could you please call me at (661) 298-1220? Thank you very much.

Carol Rock
    News Director
    KHTS AM 1220

steven wood · 13 Nov ’11 at 7:53 pm

Unbelievable, I wonder where our country will be in 10, 15, 25 years. No one will be able to say anything or have any ideas of their own. I hope that young Grayson can overcome this and he will know that not all Americans think like Dr.Winger.

Christopher Hopper · 13 Nov ’11 at 8:28 pm

It’s stories like these that inspire me to keep fighting for putting Godly men and woman in places of authority and power. It’s why I believe in spending do much time, energy, and money in raising up the next generation to e culture shapers.

Thanks for the comment, Steve.

grumpy old man · 13 Nov ’11 at 9:05 pm

Mr.Winger should be dismissed as soon as possible.He along with the school board will be lucky if they are not sued.There are several points here for a law suit,should the family persue them….

Christopher Hopper · 13 Nov ’11 at 9:12 pm

Agreed. The righteous side of my heart cries out for vindication and justice.

anymouse · 13 Nov ’11 at 9:33 pm

Could it be that Obama is so toxic that the daughter of the man mistaken for Obama was very offended? That anyone was mistaken for our idiot in chief was so offensive, an 11 year old is tossed out of school because of it? To add insult, the 11 year old is labeled “racist” because stupid and careless doesn’t have enough bite? I would have needed to make a second look, because the guy does look like Obama, and if the parents have any sense, they would sue the stupid out of the administration. This kid didn’t do anything wrong, the adults did. The guy “Winger” should go through a drug and alcohol test, and suspended immediately for child abuse.

Christopher Hopper · 13 Nov ’11 at 11:26 pm

Extreme, but I’m sure the Thomas’ appreciate your encouragement.

madkrazy · 13 Nov ’11 at 9:36 pm

This world has gone MADKRAZY!!!!!I really think that an 11 year old getting expelled due to him saying someone looked like the president is reallllyyy rediculous.In the article it said that the gentlemans daughter was upset by this,correct?Why would she be?You would think that she would take that as a complement that her dad resembles the president of the united states,instead of it being made a racist issue.Also why arent the ones who are involved in the bullying and the daughter that put the bullyers up to it get in trouble?Whats being done about that?for this boy to have to go to another school is MADKRAZY.They should fire the school administrator,he is very wrong in what he did.everything will work out,you will see GOD works in mysterious ways.mr.thomas I agree and like what you said about standing by your son.I believe in the same way.Ihope eveything works out for the thomas family,you are in my thought and prayers.

Christopher Hopper · 13 Nov ’11 at 11:24 pm

Thanks for your prayers for the family, the school, and all involved.

mooney · 13 Nov ’11 at 10:14 pm

Wow. Absurd. Based on this line of logic my family should not be able to shop at Sams Club or Walmart as a couple months ago my 4 year old daughter all but yelled,”look! It’s Barak Obama!”

She was pointing at a giant bag of rice with one Uncle Ben pictured on the front.

Christopher Hopper · 13 Nov ’11 at 11:23 pm

Your 4-year old is clearly a racist and should never be allowed to go to school, period.

mooney · 16 Nov ’11 at 10:28 pm

we home school, we’re already labelled as being part of a hate group christian cult. lol

Courtney · 14 Nov ’11 at 12:37 am

Wow. To kick someone out for that!?! If a african american child had said that a white man looked like Bill Gates and it got twisted around to all white men look alike, would that be racist? It completely blows my mind that a person with a doctorate could make such stupid decisions like this! What happened to everyman is created equal? Where was this little boys rights? If he gets expelled for saying someone looks like someone else, what can someone say without getting expelled from school? Where is our freedom of speech??

Christopher Hopper · 14 Nov ’11 at 10:08 pm

“If he gets expelled for saying someone looks like someone else, what can someone say without getting expelled from school?”

It’s at the administration’s whim, it seems. Sad. Thanks for the comment, Courtney.

R. Fisher · 14 Nov ’11 at 3:27 pm

This is quite frightening. The liberal, p.c. movement to squash our freedoms of speech and expression is perpetuated by the educational system.
Emails to Marc Winger seem to be bouncing back, but here is what I sent:
Marc Winger,
I hope that someone steps forward to represent the rights of Grayson Thomas against your racist, extremist and narrow-minded actions. A little boy comparing another man to the P.O.T.U.S. is not worthy of expulsion, let alone consideration, even if the man’s daughter attends the school. The fact that she was offended should be of more concern. I am constantly compared to and mistaken for famous white females. Never have I considered that a racist comparison. The thought is absolutely absurd and frankly, reveals your own racist tendencies. You are perpetuating the dangerous p.c. movement to squash freedom of expression in this great country. Of all people, an educator at your level should be in the business of protecting those rights and developing in the community a responsible practice of such. It is evident that you have made a decision you thought necessary to protect yourself from potential criticism. You have used a small child as a shield. Shame on you! I pray the legal system holds you accountable for your actions.

Here is where he can be emailed:
mwinger@newhall.k12.ca.us
And called at:
661-291-4000

Christopher Hopper · 14 Nov ’11 at 3:43 pm

Thanks for sending the letter and for providing the contact info, R.

C.Jones · 14 Nov ’11 at 3:42 pm

Way to OVER react & make the issue more than it seems to be Dr. Winger. This is an 11 year old kid & instead of using this as an educational opportunity, Winger had chosen to blow this out of proportion and make the situation worse. Saying someone resembles another is NOT racist at all. There are numerous kids using racial slurs in schools in this valley on a daily basis & they are spoken with about tolerance, serve an on campus suspension but NOT expelled. Schaubel should intervene and do what us right & his daughter should be taught what offensive really is (which is not being mistaken for the President).

Christopher Hopper · 14 Nov ’11 at 10:07 pm

Seem’s the administration was looking for a way out with Grayson: this was the opportunity. So sad.

Tracy Thompson · 14 Nov ’11 at 8:14 pm

I myself have an 11 year old daughter in the Sulphur Springs School District. I CANNOT IMAGINE a child getting expelled for this!! My heart & prayers go out to Grayson & his family. This is so wrong on so many levels. The man DOES look like Obama… why did his daughter find that offensive? And even if she was offended…why expulsion?!? What has the administration done about the bullying done to Grayson & his sister?!?!? I am so very TIRED of the double standards in our society today!! Our children are NOT being taught to live by the same rules… each has their own set…depending on who they are/ where they are!!! I am completely DISGUSTED my this!! As a parent, I commend his parents for fighting this & standing up for him…he was wronged. What is our world coming to?!?!

Christopher Hopper · 14 Nov ’11 at 9:38 pm

“I am so very TIRED of the double standards in our society today!”

Agreed. Aside from the blatant abuse in this matter, that’s the crux of it, isn’t it? #frustrating

Darren Thomas · 16 Nov ’11 at 2:43 pm

Tracy,

I agree that there are so many standards depending on who you are. Where does it end? This is the problem with the “Politically Correct Gestapo”, the end is a lost of basic freedoms. I’m not trying to make a big deal out f this but if this can happen to my kid then it can happen anyone’s kid. What kind of country are we leaving our children if those entrusted with their education are the very ones creating the problems. Political correctness is at odds with moral behavior. If you want to help children avoid offending others then teach them respect, don’t try to impose some moving target of what is right. A moral people rarely offend people.

B Bravo · 14 Nov ’11 at 8:57 pm

Hmmm…I’ve been trying to send an email to Dr. Winger, but it keeps bouncing back. Anybody else having this problem?

Katie · 15 Nov ’11 at 12:03 am

Completely and utterly rediculas. I can’t beiieve this. this poor child of 11 years had a momentarily lapse of eye-sight..i myself at first would most likely have also mistaken him. Grayson clearly realized his error and thought it was an unkanny resembelence. It is pretty sad that the school actually expelled him. Plain ignorance.

Thanks, I just had to say something. I will also repost.

Christopher Hopper · 15 Nov ’11 at 12:22 am

Thanks for the repost, Katie. I know the family appreciates it immensely.

meredith · 15 Nov ’11 at 12:52 am

This is the letter I tried to email to Dr Wingnut, but they have disabled his email from the site posted above….I will keep trying to get this email to him.

Dr Marc Winger,

I am very disturbed with the fact that I have a child that will be entering the school system that you are a Superintendent of; knowing that you are violating a child’s first amendment right.

There was no reason for you to create this issue with Grayson Thomas. This is a small child that made reference to two men looking alike. I am sure that this is not the first time that this reference has been made. My husband and I watch KTLA (we are not viewers anymore) and have made the same statements of how Mr. Chris Schauble DOES look like the President…do you think my husband and I are racists?

I think that this was handled VERY poorly on your part. What should have happened was a sit down with both children and possibly ask Schaubles daughter why she was offended by the statement that her father resembles the President. The Thomas boy was NOT as all saying that all black men look a like. If Schaubles daughter told the Thomas boy that his father looked like a movie star or a former President would you have expelled her? You have turned a small comment that is true (Schauble looks like Obama) into a situation that is now putting two children at risk. Your words were more racist that this childs and you sir should be ashamed of yourself. Did you know that both Thomas kids are getting bullied now, via text, social media and at school (well the daughter is cause she is still allowed to go to school) There was NO REASON for this to get to this. You have damaged two children and just made it right for another child to be over sensitive about people comments; which will not help her out in the real world.

I am not a Dr I am just a parent, but I do not want my child attending a school where if she makes reference or compares one persons looks to another will get her expelled. I grew up and attended school on the east coast in NY and there is no way that anything like this would ever happen there and maybe thats why CA schools are ranked SO poorly. If this was a case of a child telling a Jewish child that the Holocaust was the right thing to do then yes feel free to expel that child and have a serious talk with his parents and maybe even a trip to the Tolerance museum. While schools all over the US are trying to rid their classrooms of bullying; you sir are the cause of bullying…you are the bully in this situation.
You need to make this situation right. And if you don’t….I hope that this family sues the district, you and Mr Schauble. You should have thought before you acted Dr.

david.kinsey@ch.kuon · 15 Nov ’11 at 1:24 am

This is crazy! I’m black and those two do indeed resemble each other. That poor kid will be traumized for years.

Christin · 15 Nov ’11 at 1:51 am

Correct me if I’m wrong, but what I get out of this political correctness gone extreemly mad is that Chris Schauble has taken his insecurities of being black to brain washing his daughter into thinking that anyone portraying you as black look-a-like is raciest…even if it’s the President of the free world. I thought our school system was cracking down on bullying, what happened to that?

Theawfultruth · 15 Nov ’11 at 2:52 am

My kids go to that school. The principal of the school, Candice Fleece looks like Nancy Pelosi and Superintendant Winger looks like John Boehner. I hope I didn’t just cross some kind of PC line by inferring that the school administrators look like political bureaucrats. However, they certainly sound like them.

Multisigma · 15 Nov ’11 at 1:44 pm

I am not a resident of the area, but was notified of this incident by an incensed friend who is. After reading the two descriptions and the comments of all those who have (rightly) taken umbrage over the situation, I am trying to winnow a few facts that are not entirely in evidence, but that may be pertinent:
1. It appears that the original “offense” was, indeed, not an act that could be considered worthy of discipline at all. In a rational world, it might have called for a verbal caution about how such comments might be taken by persons suffering from excessive sensitivity.
2. Details of the chain of communication subsequent to that event are minimal or missing, but seem to involve another student seeking to instigate a problem by telling Schauble’s daughter something that may or may not have accurately reported the words. Inferring the intentions of the unnamed girl is not unfair considering the subsequent text harassment incidents.
3. Actions by staff appear to have focused on kicking the problem “upstairs” as rapidly as possible, thus avoiding personal risk.
4. Knowing of the assortment of other dimensions of the situation, and realizing full well that “zero-tolerance” policies shield administrators from having to exercise the executive decisionmaking for which they are ostensibly paid those high salaries, the Superintendent took what he perceived to be the path of least resistance rather than making the proper effort to evaluate the case in perspective.
5. Left unmentioned is that girl who acted as the go-between and who effectively “played the system”. Why was her interpretation of the incident accepted without question, as seems to have been the case? Who are her parents- do they have involvements or influence in the District?

As a case of classic ‘pc run amok’ this may very well be worthy of national exposure, since the decisions came from executive level and seem to lack due diligence; just the sort of description that fits many other problems being faced at all levels of society.

Julia · 15 Nov ’11 at 4:02 pm

This is awful. This school and the parents of the bullying children which includes Mr Schauble are irresponsible for doing this and or letting this happen to an eleven year old boy and his family. A big mighty mob of crazy people who are scared someone might point their finger at them for telling the others NO and then being called a racist themselves putting words into a boys mouth and excluding him not just from school but from society and a happy childhood. Once againt because people are afraid of standing up and doing the right thing, instead they do what they think is expected. They should be ashamed. I hope the family has a strong support system and the confidence and strengh to make it through this well.

Candymanfb · 15 Nov ’11 at 5:14 pm

This would have offended me as a black man. We don’t all look alike, but the article implies that the child knew the report was Obama … and continued with the statements – that’s where the trouble is!
This kid was given a favor to attend and it was revoked after offending another child- who’s parent may have access to resources that can bring unwanted attention.
If the kid was really assigned to this school, the worst he would have received would have been suspension.
Unfortunate, but this is life – keep your mouth shut!

Christopher Hopper · 15 Nov ’11 at 5:19 pm

I find your opening statement interesting. People say I look like Bruce Willis. I always take it as a compliment.

Brendan · 15 Nov ’11 at 8:55 pm

Sir,
    Your apparent lack of understanding is both troubling and unfortunate in equal parts. As a man you should first grow a thicker skin, they do look similar enough to say they look alike, this is not racism, this is a kid joking around. My question is why would this offend you as a black man? The article does not mention any racist language merely an observation by a CHILD. If your delicate sensibilities are such that this offends you let me apologize as a white man for this child. Put the race card back in the deck and look at this as the man you claim to be.

John Titor · 17 Nov ’11 at 6:00 pm

I completely agree.

meredith · 17 Nov ’11 at 7:10 pm

Why hasn’t this hit the news yet….does anyone know how to get a hold of Anderson Cooper….I am still sickened by this and still REALLY ANNOYED….AND CandymanFB tolerance for each other and people opinion is what needs to be seen here and these are children both of these kids are being set up for disaster in the real world with this situation.

Christopher Hopper · 17 Nov ’11 at 7:40 pm

I know the Blaze is about to post something; Dr. Winger did interviews with other news agencies, but refused to with The Blaze. (Why are we not surprised?)

GodKala · 18 Nov ’11 at 1:08 pm

I am a black man, thirty years old. I find it absolutely preposterous, after reading the facts surrounding this issue, to see an innocent young boy castigated in such a way. There was nothing racist about the remark, nor can anything racist be implied. If the young white boy had been black ther most assuredly wouldn’t have been anyone quick to clamor onto the racist label. We should not be so quick to paint hateful rubbish on a simple (and factual) statement. The reporter in mention does indeed bear a striking resemblance to Obama. If the boy had indeed said that “all black men look alike”, he would be deserving of being called a racist. Albeit it is my view that all men should be able to spew the racist what have you short of inciting actual harm to any person or people.

Christopher Hopper · 18 Nov ’11 at 1:28 pm

Thanks for your insightful comments. Good stuff.

Christopher Hopper · 18 Nov ’11 at 1:28 pm

Thanks for the link, Kevin. Glad it’s getting some national play now.

Jay · 18 Nov ’11 at 2:39 pm

Has anyone asked the owner of this site to change the color font from invisible gray to pitch black so readers can better see the texts? Come on!

Christopher Hopper · 18 Nov ’11 at 6:52 pm

You’re the first. 🙂 …if in fact you’re asking and not ranting.

Christopher Hopper · 18 Nov ’11 at 6:54 pm

PS :: Do you actually read here often?

cheryl copelend · 21 Nov ’11 at 6:16 pm

I think this is completly stupid of them to expell a CHILD for something so silly. I think this principle along with the teacher and the entire faculty need a class on what racist is. There are so many other issue that are going on in our schools that giving a compliment (as far as I am concerned) should not warrant being expelled. These people should apologize to this boy and his family.

Joy · 23 Nov ’11 at 4:08 pm

I turned on KTLA channel 5 news this morning (11/23/11) at about 6:55am. Chris Schauble was commenting on a story about a turkey eating competition, showing a petite young Asian woman who had won. He said “That itty bitty thing? She looks like Ginger Chan!” Now Ginger Chan is the young Asian traffic reporter on the same show. I think a call to Schauble’s boss is in order, since he obviously thinks all Asian people look alike. He must be a racist. Perhaps this is a case of the pot calling the kettle………. oh wait, I probably shouldn’t say that.

Christopher Hopper · 23 Nov ’11 at 6:30 pm

Poignant and witty. Thanks for the comment, Joy.

michele · 6 Dec ’11 at 4:54 pm

This must be a joke. All this because ONE little girl wanted to have attention brought to herself. That young man is being targeted not only by this girl and her friends but by the school and its district. Totally disgusting. The young mans family needs to higher a lawyer.

Belle · 3 Nov ’12 at 8:25 pm

What is wrong with them! Expelling a child over so stupid. He was just saying who the man looked like! A classmate once said I looked like Emma Watson, but did I take offense? Heck no! I have seen kids get off with just a scolding for saying I looked like a white monkey (I am white)! Seriously, this is unacceptable!

dick bird · 5 Jun ’13 at 11:20 pm

This silly action was taken because these fools@ this school think chris schauble is a celebrity. His kids and then schauble himself made a big deal about nothing. Winger should b fired4 cavin in 2 NOBODY!

Christopher Hopper · 9 Jun ’13 at 9:20 pm

It’s sad, and evidence of an insecure political faction acting bigger than they really are. Thanks for commenting, Dick.

Eddie M · 3 Dec ’14 at 2:15 am

Not sure how I ran into this post, but suffice it to say that I’m a big believer in karma. Last year, Mr. Schauble got into some hot water for ‘accidentally’ saying on air that Hispanics only wore suit and tie when making court appearances. Petty, but ironic. Ironic that he denies his resemblance to a black US President but suggests others are law-breakers (perhaps criminals) based on their race.

On twitter, I personally reached out to him and shared what I thought was a clear gesture of forgiveness, he replied with his own semi-apology. Since then he’s blocked me from his Twitter account. I don’t really care, but I find this incident in Santa Clarita, with a kid no less, more indicative of Mr. Schauble’s personal insecurity over his race and his role within our broader society.

Again, karma, it’s good and it’s bad, depending on who we are.

Christopher Hopper · 3 Dec ’14 at 6:19 am

Eddie,

Thanks for the comment. Interesting sequence of events there. People certainly can’t escape the universal law of “reaping what they sow,” or karma, as you so succinctly put it. I get most frustrated when kids are involved, sacrificed on the altar of adult delinquency.

koowah · 30 Apr ’15 at 7:17 am

Some people have to learn the hard way, most American racist are not white

handgunnar · 6 May ’15 at 8:28 pm

These stupid pricks don’t even know what racism is.

Glen Smith · 6 May ’15 at 9:01 pm

I JUST PEED MY PANTS… OH NO! I MUST BE A RACIST!!!

Political Correctness Gone Mad!!! | My Fiery Thoughts · 13 Nov ’11 at 12:13 pm

[…] like Obama and called a racist. The boy is the son of a friend of an author I like. Read about it here. Share this:FacebookTwitterStumbleUponEmailLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. This […]

November 15, 2011 Daily Brief-KHTS Took The Bait Edition | SCVTalk.com · 15 Nov ’11 at 1:16 pm

[…] an out of state blogger, the one sided accounts of parents and the student involved due to student confidentiality rules, […]