Working hard today? I sure hope not. But everyone’s bound to pull up a little seaweed with their anchor, even while relaxing.

Labor Day was first formed in 1882 to celebrate the economic and social contributions of the American worker.

The key word being contributions.

I am anything but a union supporter, and my politics would just as soon tell you why we should repeal Davis & Bacon, and utterly reject the notion that the Federal Government should tell businesses where they can operate and what labor-sanctioned-products they must endorse.

Talk about being too big for our britches.

But past all the cookouts and fish fries, politicking and debating, the future of our great nation rests not in large government’s ability to mandate and regulate, but in the hands of her people, those willing to “work it.”

To contribute.

And that’s the majority of the people I meet.

It is a sad and frustrating day when the leaders of our nation are mostly attorneys, and have never had to meet a payroll, work a register, stock a shelf, or – as we’re all very aware of – balance a budget.

To all those dads working overtime, moms taking the second job, and teens out interviewing for your first job, today is for you. And I salute you. You’re the ones truly leading the country.

Every other sorry bum that doesn’t have a legit excuse for why they can’t at least click a mouse and learn data-entry on Excel, or handout sales flyers at Sam’s Club, stop squatting on our holiday.

Carrying seaweed is exhausting. ch:

20110905-121510.jpg

Paula · 5 Sep ’11 at 12:27 am

More and more I’m realising how different the US actually is to good ol’ Aus 😉

Maybe you should move your family here?

🙂

Christopher Hopper · 5 Sep ’11 at 9:47 am

It seems my friends list there us growing… 😉 I’d need someone to teach me your amazing accent ASAP, however.

At least I still feel the call to dig in and fight, both spiritually and politically when needed. Though I fear the real political answer may never happen: a complete changing of the guard, ousting of career legislators, and tighter term limits. Good thing I know the Prince of Peace.

If we move, you have extra room for us? 😉

Paula · 6 Sep ’11 at 9:27 pm

hmm. I have a sofa bed?

we’re also in a spot of political turmoil. Our current PM, who infamously outsted Kevin Rudd in a political coup is now in the firing line to be removed as PM – again by her own party. (She still, technically, has not been elected to the position outright).

Christopher Hopper · 6 Sep ’11 at 10:35 pm

Lord help us raise up an influential generation where some of them are called to bring light and integrity to the political system!

Ron Porter · 5 Sep ’11 at 12:29 am

There are people in this country who work hard every day
Not for fame or fortune do they strive
But the fruits of their labor are worth more than their pay
And it’s time a few of them were recognized

Hello Detroit auto workers, let me thank you for your time
You work a forty hour week for a livin’, just to send it on down the line
Hello Pittsburgh steel mill workers, let me thank you for your time
You work a forty hour week for a livin’, just to send it on down the line

This is for the one who swings the hammer, driving home the nail
Or the one behind the counter, ringing up the sale
Or the one who fights the fires, the one who brings the mail
For everyone who works behind the scenes

You can see them every morning in the factories and the fields
In the city streets and the quiet country towns
Working together like spokes inside a wheel
They keep this country turning around

Hello Kansas wheat field farmer, let me thank you for your time
You work a forty hour week for a livin’, just to send it on down the line
Hello West Virginia coal miner, let me thank you for your time
You work a forty hour week for a livin’, just to send it on down the line

This is for the one who drives the big rig, up and down the road
Or the one out in the warehouse, bringing in the load
Or the waitress, the mechanic, the policeman on patrol
For everyone who works behind the scenes

With a spirit you can’t replace with no machine
Hello America let me thank you for your time…

(name that song lol)

Ron Porter · 5 Sep ’11 at 5:33 pm

Lol…when I read your post that song popped into my head…