Most times in ministry, if you’re trained right, you go out of your way to honor people. No matter what. It’s what Jesus did. No reward other than His smile. No kickback other than a hand on your shoulder saying, “Good job, son.” When you’re in my line of work, especially if you “have a name” that people recognize (which is mainly my kids because I change their diapers, my church because they change mine, and the very few conferences I frequent because they help me buy diapers), people think it’s all glory. 10% maybe. The other 90% is doing things no one will ever see. The “grunge,” as my daddy calls it. I think it’s that way with every profession, passion, or hobby. Even raising kids. Even being a friend. 90% grunge, 10% glory. (Thanks Daddy Hopper).
But every now and then God finds a way to just mess with you. He goes out of His way to go over the top. To make you speechless.
The next four days will be that for me.
First, I got asked to play with Paul Rohling and my beautiful bride, Jennifer, at Creation, on the bill for tomorrow night. Pretty much freaked me out right. (Meet us at the Late Night Stage in the tent at 12-midnight!). My dad was a part of the very first festival back when it was called “Jesus” in the early 70’s. I never thought I’d be performing at it almost 40 years later.
But then, president and now friend, Harry Thomas asked me to speak at 3pm on Saturday. Speak. At Creation. Uh, OK Harry. No problem. How do you say no to someone who is Jesus on the inside and Santa Clause on the outside?
“Oh, and would you be willing to lead worship for the final service on Sunday morning?”
Let me check my Eight Ball. Never mind, it just blew up. Sure.
The funniest part it, I haven’t really been thinking about it. Not up until right now as I’m writing this post. No, I’m not trying to be a prima donna. I’m serious. Maybe because I’m in denial? Maybe because I’m so busy I only take one 12-hour chunk at a time? Or, in the words of my good friend, Kelly Stone, who always manages to keep me humble and yet still remind me of my assignment, “You were born for this; it’s just another day…” Because in the end, it’s not about the music.
It never was.
It’s about the Listener.
If you’re coming out, please make sure to come say hi! And if you’re not, say hi right here in the comments! Oh, and @loswhit, I’m going to finally meet you so my wife can stop hearing me talk about one of my few unmet bromances.
Speaking of diapers, I think I need to change mine now. ch: